Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mother's Day in neon

So I have been a single parent for 9 years now. (Translation: since day 1) I have had 9 Mother's Days...they aren't my favorite day to say the least!! Being a single mom is generally a stressful job, but Mother's Day has just always seemed to light up with neon lights that scream "you're alone!!!" Did I mention it's not my favorite? But you know what else happens every Mother's Day? My sister does something to make it special. She buys flowers or a gift basket and writes "Love, Cal" and in those times I remember I am not alone. I have the most amazing family who on the day I became a mother drove to Shreveport to move me home. A family that has visited any hospital that Cal has been in and taken care of both of us when I just couldn't do it by myself.
This is my last year as a single mom and I'm not entirely sure what to expect in year 10 of being a mom, but I do know this...good day or bad I have a family that is with me on Mother's Day and any other day.
If you know a single mom...do something nice for them, you'll never know what a difference you made and those stupid neon lights may get a little dimmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment