Friday, March 22, 2013

What kind of wedding is THAT?

Since I got engaged, I have found out that people have lots of ideas and expectations about what a wedding is "supposed" to be.  Typical of me, I don't have any of those ideas or expectations.  People started asking things like what kind of cake will you have, where will it be, what kind of dress will you have, will it be catered?  My answer to all of that...I don't know, should I know that already because I really don't care. I have never been a wedding person.  I have never been a formal event person.  I love easy, relaxed, fun parties.  I love family and friends having fun and just enjoying themselves.  I love everything about backyard parties.  So when I started planning this wedding of expectation, I hated it.  I hated spending money on things, I hated picking aisle decorations, I hated looking at bouquets.  The only thing I wanted was to be married.  I suggested we have a wedding like a early 1900's fair...bobbing for apples and all.  Don't worry - I didn't win on that one!  :)

Did you go to my sister's wedding?  It was perfectly Carrie!  I want people to go to my wedding and say it was perfectly Courtney...a little outside the box, but fun!  Or maybe "I cannot believe she did that, but it's so her."  I'll take either one.  :)

Here is what I know: when weddings were more about the celebration of two people's choice to love each other for better or worse and less about the wedding, marriages lasted longer.  I want a lasting marriage.  I want a family.  I want a celebration of my choice to love one man for the rest of my life, however long that will be.  I want that celebration to be fun and to that end here is the wedding I shall have:

On July 3, 2013, a wedding celebration shall ensue that will include dancing, swimming, kickball, croquet, food, fun, a few vows and if we are lucky and the weather cooperates, fireworks.

I can hear it now "What kind of wedding is THAT?"  It's my wedding!  And I hope you'll come and enjoy celebrating life's decisions with us!

2 comments:

  1. Are you going to wear a white swimsuit? And with all of that, I want a bonfire and s'mores. It sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whooopeeeee!!! Dancing and food??? Count me in!! Love ya' friend!

    ReplyDelete